After months of rumors that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were California-bound, reports emerged Thursday that the couple recently left Canada and arrived in Los Angeles. According to People, Meghan and Harry are in a secluded compound and have not left because of the coronavirus crisis.
A friend of the couple’s confirmed the move to the Sun, noting that they left before non-essential travel between the United States and Canada was restricted starting March 21. “Harry and Meghan have left Canada now for good. The borders were closing and flights were stopping. They had to get out,” the source said. “But this move was planned for some time. They realized Canada would not work out for various reasons and they want to be based in the Los Angeles area.”
The Sun’s source added that the couple chose Los Angeles because of their connections there. Meghan was raised in the city and her mother, Doria Ragland still lives there. “They have a big support network there,” the insider said. “It’s where their new team of Hollywood agents and PRs and business managers are based. Meghan has lots of friends there and, of course, her mum Doria.”
The move also comes as Canada becomes less hospitable and Meghan’s Hollywood career heats up. Last month, the Canadian government announced that as of April 1, they would no longer fund any of Meghan and Harry’s security costs, nor would they provide RCMP officers to assist the Metropolitan Police force assigned to the couple.
This week, Meghan’s long-rumored elephant documentary with Disney was officially confirmed. She has provided narration for Elephant, about a pack that migrates across Africa, and it will come to Disney+ on April 3. Though some other rumors about Meghan’s future have been debunked, a source told the Sun that her career would be unfolding in California. “For Meghan, this type of work is going to be coming out of Hollywood going forward,” the insider said. “She feels comfortable there around her people and has projects already planned like her children’s book.”
When the couple left the U.K. after their farewell tour earlier this month, they had plans to return for engagements over the next few months. Slowly but surely, those events have been canceled. First, Harry had planned to return for the London Marathon on April 4, before it was called off. He had also planned on visiting the Netherlands for the 2020 Invictus Games in May, but last week he announced that they would be postponed to 2021 in a video from his webcam.
Finally, the couple had planned to bring their son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor to visit his great-grandmother Queen Elizabeth at Balmoral and to stand on the balcony for Trooping the Colour, but on Friday, the palace announced that the queen’s birthday parade had been canceled “in its traditional form.”
Since they announced their desire to step down as senior royals in January, the couple has been dropping hints about their next move. As recently as February, they said that plans for a non-profit organization would be coming soon. Now that coronavirus has altered the work habits and travel plans of so many around the world, it’s not clear when that announcement will actually happen.