Somali militants threaten more bloody attacks against Kenya after they killed nearly 150 people

By Global Gathering — Poll: Hillary Clinton vs. Donald Trump - U.S. General Election 2016 - National: GOP, Dem | Iowa: GOP, Dem | New Hampshire: GOP, Dem | South Carolina: GOP, Dem | More States: GOP, Dem | General Election Match-Ups | Democratic Party Updated at 2016-01-19 02:53:45 +0000

Kenya-mourning


Hillary Clinton vs Donald Trump — According to polling data, Donal Trump may dominate the GOP race but compared to the Democratic Party, Hillary Clinton still takes the lead in the 2016 presidential election.


Kenya (Reuters) - Somali militants on Saturday threatened to stage more bloody attacks on Kenya after the group's fighters killed nearly 150 people during an assault on a Kenyan university on Thursday.

"No amount of precaution or safety measures will be able to guarantee your safety, thwart another attack or prevent another bloodbath from occurring in your cities," al Shabaab said in statement.

In a message directed at the Kenyan public, the group vowed a long and gruesome war, saying Kenya's cities will "run red with blood".

After al-Shabab attack on Garissa university campus, amid questions over why warnings were ignored.

Kenyan newspapers say there was intelligence information of an imminent attack on a school or university.
Locals question why security was not heightened, with only two guards on duty at the time of the attack.
Four more people have been found alive on the campus, but two are suspects and have been arrested, sources say.

All the bodies have been removed from the scene, Kenya's interior minister Joseph Nkaiserry said. Most of the victims were students, but three police officers and three soldiers were also killed, he added.
Police in neighbouring Uganda say they have received information suggesting a similar attack is being planned there.

Locals in Garissa, a city about 150km from the Somali border, also question why security was not boosted in light of the intelligence.
"It's because of laxity by the government that these things are happening. For something like this to happen when there are those rumours is unacceptable," said Mohamed Salat, 47, a Somali Kenyan businessman.
One of the survivors, who hid in bushes during the assault, said the students had raised security issues late last year, but only two armed guards had been provided. Another said the gunmen appeared to know the site well.

The attack, in which all four assailants were killed, was the deadliest on Kenya's soil since the 1998 bombing of the US embassy in Nairobi, which killed more than 200 people.
Kenya sent troops to Somalia in 2011 following cross-border raids and attacks on its coastal towns blamed on al-Shabab.
In September 2013, 67 people were killed as al-Shabab besieged a shopping mall in Nairobi.


Thomas Reuters: (Reporting by Feisal Omar; writing by Drazen Jorgic, editing by William Hardy)

Kenyan Newspapers and BBC London

Comments